Rabbi Robert Slosberg
June 10 – 21, 2018 – AJ’S Israel adult tour will cover many of Israel’s marvels: Old Jaffa, Tel Jaffa, Quaint Neve Tzeddek, Bauhaus architecture, Nahalat Binyamin, Ayalon Institute, Caesarea, Mt. of the Beatitudes, Mystical city of Tzfaz, Golan Heights, Mt. BentaT.
Join Congregation Adath Jeshurun for an amazing Israel adventure.
Led by Rabbi Robert Slosberg
June 10 – 21, 2018
Sunday, 10 June
Depart USA on an overnight flight to Tel Aviv
Monday, 11 June
– Going up into the Land – Arrive in Israel to be met and assisted by your ITC representative. Tour the alleys of Old Jaffa, the ancient port city once known as the Gate of Zion. Shekhiyanu-Welcome ceremony on top of Tel Jaffa overlooking modern Tel Aviv.
Check-in to the Carlton Hotel on Tel Aviv’s Mediterranean Coast. Welcome dinner at hotel. Overnight: Carlton Hotel, Tel Aviv
Tuesday, 12 June
– The Hebrew City and the Jewish State – Walking tour of historic “Little Tel Aviv” – Discover the quaint Neve Tzeddek neighbourhood that gave birth to the “first Hebrew city in 2,000 years”. Relive David Ben Gurion declaring the new State of Israel at Independence Hall. Stroll down Rothschild Boulevard to view the Bauhaus architecture for which central Tel Aviv was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Lunch on your own and free time to explore the Nahalat Binyamin crafts fair. Travel to Rehovot for a guided tour of the Ayalon Institute – an underground bullet factory used by Jewish forces before the founding of the State of Israel. Free time to swim in the Mediterranean Sea and enjoy beachside promenade. Free evening. Dinner on own. Overnight: Carlton Hotel, Tel Aviv
Wednesday, 13 June
– Cradles of Jewish Civilization in the Galilee – Depart for northern Israel. Visit the ruins of Caesarea, including its Roman Theater, Amphitheater, Hippodrome and Promontory Palace, and ponder a rabbinic debate over Jews attending gladiator games. Lunch on own. Guided tour of the former Atlit detention camp where the British held Holocaust refugees, who tried to enter the country “illegally”. Board an “illegal immigration ship” to watch a multimedia presentation about the heroic pre-State immigration. Check–in to the Lavi Hotel on Kibbutz Lavi in the Galilee. Dinner at hotel. Overnight: Kibbutz Lavi.
Thursday, 14 June
– Ancient and Modern Geopolitics and Israel’s Finest – Visit the Mt. of the Beatitudes – The site of the Sermon on the Mount. Tour the old synagogues and picturesque alleyways of the mystical city of Tzfat and discover the origins of our Friday night service where Lecha Dodi was written. Lunch on own. Tour to the Golan Heights for a perspective on Israel’s complex geopolitics as we visit former Syrian bunkers overlooking Israel and strategic Mt. Bental. Guided tour and wine tasting at the boutique Bahat Winery. Barbeque dinner on an Israeli army base with young soldiers who are giving some of the best years of their lives to the defense of Israel. Overnight: Kibbutz Lavi
Friday, 15 June
– Across Israel: A Multicultural Jewish Society – Hear about kibbutz life first hand on a tour of Lavi led by a local kibbutznik. Discover Ethiopian Jewish culture at the Germachin Center in Beit Shean. Hear a personal account of this community’s modern day Exodus story and about the challenges facing the Ethiopian Israeli community today. Lunch on own. Continue south through the Jordan Valley and ascendto Jerusalem. Explore the raucous Machane Yehuda Market and take in a slice of local life as you see Jerusalemites prepare for Shabbat. On the way, see the nearby picturesque Nachalaot neighborhoods. Check-in to the Inbal Hotel in Jerusalem. Free time to relax and prepare for Shabbat. Friday/Shabbat evenings options: Join hundreds of other Jews from around the world to Greet the Sabbath at the Western Wall. Option to pray together as a congregation at the “Masorati Kotel”, where men and women can stand together. Attend the musical “Israeli Kabbalat Shabbat” service at the First Station Compound (held at 5:00 before Shabbat begins). OR: Attend Friday night services at a local Jerusalem synagogue. OR: Attend the “Israeli Kabbalat Shabbat” service at the First Station Compound. Festive Shabbat Dinner at hotel.
Overnight: Inbal Hotel, Jerusalem
Saturday, 16 June
– And on the Seventh Day… in Jerusalem – Shabbat morning services at a local Conservative/Masorati synagogue, followed by Kiddush and an update about the Conservative/Masorati movement in Israel. Shabbat Lunch at Inbal Hotel. Shabbat afternoon options: Late afternoon walking tour to the historic Montefiore Windmill to discover the first neighbourhood built outside the walls of the Old City. AND/OR: Walking tour to First Temple period burial site at Ketef Hinnom – Where archaeologists discovered the oldest biblical text ever found. Havdalah with Rabbi Slosberg. Free evening. Dinner on own. Recommendation for the evening: Visit the First Station Compound, Jerusalem’s restored Ottoman railway station turned restaurant – cafe area. Overnight: Inbal Hotel, Jerusalem
Sunday, 17 June
– The Old City of Jerusalem – An Ancient Jewish Legacy – Ancient Jerusalem touring options for the group: Explore the City of David, including its ancient water systems (without getting wet), using the Bible and archaeology to make Jerusalem’s stones tell the story of the city’s ancient past. AND/OR: Discover the archaeological story of the Western Wall and episodes from rabbinic texts while standing where Jewish pilgrims walked 2,000 years ago at Robinson’s Arch and the Southern Wall Excavations. Discover underground Jerusalem in the Western Wall Tunnels. Lunch on own in the Jewish Quarter. Tour of the Jewish Quarter including the Cardo, Broad Wall and Rooftops followed by free time to shop and explore on own. Visit to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem’s Christian Quarter including the last stations of the Via Dolorosa. Free evening. Dinner on own. Overnight: Inbal Hotel, Jerusalem
Monday, 18 June
– Masada and the Dead Sea: Freedom Fighters or Fanatics? – Set out early across the Judean Desert and ascend Masada by cable car to tour the ruins of Herod’s palace and the last outpost of Jewish independence. Discussion: Which Jewish Legacy – Masada or Yavne? Swim in the Dead Sea, the lowest place on earth, at a local resort. The resort also has a fresh water pool and spa facilities. Massage and spa treatments available by prior reservation at own expense. Lunch at Dead Sea resort. Time permitting: Walk in Ein Gedi Nature Reserve opportunity to bath in waterfalls and hear how David hid there from King Saul. Dinner on own. Overnight: Inbal Hotel, Jerusalem
Tuesday, 19 June
– Holocaust, Remembrance and Continuity – Tour of Yad Vashem Israel’s national Holocaust memorial and museum, including the Holocaust History Museum and Children‛s Memorial. Lunch on own. Discover the story of Zionism’s founding father Theodore Herzl at the multimedia Herzl Museum. Meaningful visit to Mt Herzl Cemetery to discover chapters in the history of Israel while vidsiting the graves of Yitzhak Rabin, Golda Meir, Theodore Herzl and Hannah Senesch. Engage in hands on tzedakah preparing food packages for distribution to some of Israel’s neediest people at Pantry Packers in southern Jerusalem. Dinner on own in Jerusalem’s Mamilla Quarter. Watch the Night Spectacular – Sound and light show at the Tower of David. Overnight: Inbal Hotel, Jerusalem
Wednesday, 20 June
– Wrapping Up and Departure – Visit Yad Lakashish, a unique employment project helping Jerusalem’s elderly, including a stop in its shop “where shopping is a mitzvah!” Geopolitical tour of Jerusalem – Opportunity to examine critical issues impacting on the city first hand beyond what you read in the newspapers. OR: Visit to the Israel Museum to see the Dead Sea Scrolls in the Shrine of the Book and the Model of Jerusalem in the first century. Free time to explore additional exhibitions on own – Recommendations: Modern Israeli art, Synagogue interiors in the Judaica section and the Archaeology Wing. Remainder of afternoon free to explore on own and get in last minute shopping. Late check out. Farewell Dinner at Medita Restaurant. Transfer to Ben Gurion Airport – See you again soon!
Thursday, 21 June
– Arrive in USA – Begin planning your next Israel trip with Rabbi Slosberg and ITC Tours!